Friday, May 8, 2009

MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH MUSICAL 1?

Music has always been one of my passions. So....if you are a student in my Algebra class, you are subjected to my singing...lol! Some think it's great, while others call it "wack". However, I am a firm believer that if you can create a method where kids will remember what you are teaching...then so be it.

It was a Thursday, at 9:40 pm, and I was headed home from eating mexican with my bff Brucke (who happens to also be the inclusion teacher in my class). The next days lesson was weighing heavily on my mind. Metric Converions have always been a nightmare for my kids. What could I do...how could I make it fun and easy? Was there a tune I could use to create a way of learning the metric prefixes (in order)? Was there a dance we could do? Cause my kids LOVE to dance. While saying the prefixes over and over in my mind...it somehow ended up sounding like .....the Metric Macarena!

The following video is of a few of my 4th block students demonstrating the 'Metric Macarena!' It is my goal this video/song will help you in learning the metric prefixes like it did my kids. Their quiz scores were phenomenal! Enjoy! :o}


1 comment:

  1. Hey Coop! Love the video clip! The kids really seem to enjoy performing the song. What an awesome way for kids to learn the metric system! Cobb

    ReplyDelete